I live to the south and west of Boston and have some "lessons learned" to share as a consequence of our recent experiences with Irene.
- When you decide that the storm is going to cause a loss of power, go buy ice as soon as you can! And then buy some more for your neighbors and friends.
- It's really nice to have a battery operated radio and candles.
- Plan to use your barbeque to cook up your thawing foods - and you can boil water on it too!
- Cold showers get old. Because we have an oil-fired furnace that also heats our water, I learned how to hook the furnace up to an external generator. It's really not too bad.
- If you want to use your cellphone and other devices after the power goes out, make sure you've charged them!
Pretty short list.